Wednesday, April 19, 2006

My Lenten Revelation

As some of you may know, I gave up gum for Lent. When Lent was over I had lots of gum. But Monday night I laid there about to go to sleep and thought "man, I'm seriously addicted to gum" which led me to thinking about giving things up like that and I realized something.

Every year we give up something for Lent that we love. Something we'll have a hard time living (normally) without. And we for the most part, do. I think I'm starting to figure Lent out. When I thought about how hard it was to live without something trivial like bubble gum I thought, wow, how hard would it be to live with out knowing Jesus saved us? Or how hard would it be to live without God period? It's a scary thought. So, one aspect of giving something up is the realization of how we can't live without somethings. It also shows us which things are more important. Obviously God is more important to me than gum, but it's like one of those things you always knew but never really thought about. It's a reality shock.

Also, like Advent, Lent is a time to reflect on and grow in your relationship with God. It's a time to slow down a bit from your totally hectic lives and think about your beliefs and where you want to go with them. Want to read your bible more? Lent's a great time (especially on that long weekend off from work and school). Want to pray more? Well, religious holidays always remind people to do that, just try to keep going after Easter. Want to get closer to God? Well, talk to someone else about it, or read your bible, or just go to church on Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, and even Easter Monday (it's that extra day off work some of us have to reflect more).

I couldn't really include all I thought about that I wanted to because, well, I have one horrible memory and I can't think about all that right now. If I think of anything else I'll add it in a comment.

Just something to think about, I'd love to hear your thoughts on Lent too!

(x-posted to Friends in Faith (Ambassadors for Christ) and Typeset World)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails